HMRC announces COVID-19 portal date and process
HMRC has announced that the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme portal will be up and running on 20th April. This portal will allow employers to submit their claims for 80% recovery of salaries of their employees, up to a cap of £2,500 per month.
- It is expected that the first payments will be made to employers on 30th April. It is expected that payments will be made to employers within 4 – 6 days of them submitting the data on the portal.
- HMRC is issuing a guidance document next week to employers in order that they can start to prepare the data for submission.
- Claims can be made by employers weekly or monthly, depending on their payroll runs but only ONE submission per payroll run can be made.
- Claims can be submitted up to 14 days ahead of the normal pay date.
- HMRC is conscious that the system may be open to fraud and is launching a hotline for concerned employees and employers have been reminded that all furloughed employees must have been given prior notification of their furlough status; and that this written notification must be retained for five years.